250 homes have been burnt to the ground as a kitchen fire swept through the closely packed slums in Chimbote, Peru. At least 800 people have been made homeless as the flames quickly destroyed everything in its path. The fire is not thought to be suspicious but the shanty houses do not have safe cooking facilities and it is thought that a cooking fire spread out of control. The houses were made from highly flammable materials and the residents had little chance to salvage their possessions. Authorities have set up temporary shelters but from previous experience there is no confidence that much assistance will be forthcoming. Destruction from another fire four years ago has still not seen replacement properties rebuilt.